Thursday, July 31, 2008

Who the Hell Am I?

Winding our way home from a spa in the middle of Catskills, we decided to drop in on our old friends Sean and Gregory at bluecashew. Being a dab hand in the kitchen and a product designer by training, I always enjoying perusing the wares there and on this occasion, more than before, I got the sense that this is more than a store, it's an experience. I can't bring myself to call it an inventory, it's more of a collection and it's curated with profound insight of home function and exquisite taste for great design.

So, while I was gushing over the beautifully crafted Joseph Joseph range the supremely functional Viking products and all the Danish masterpieces (such as Eva Solo) that are difficult to find anywhere else, I asked if I could begin to exercise my product design chops by contributing to the Dose (this blog).

So, back to the title of the post: Who The Hell Am I? For a formal profile it's probably easiest to look at my Linked In profile and in brief I am Founding Partner and Creative Director of a digital agency called Last Exit based in New York City and London, UK. Born and raised in London I started my career as product designer and was lucky enough to work with agencies such as PDD. I have a deep fascination and passion for ergonomics and the human-machine interface. Something that is so critical in the design of kitchen products/accessories: high functionality and utility, safety and beauty.

I've guest lectured and critiqued at many design schools on both sides of the Atlantic and hold two degrees in Engineering/Product Design and 3d/Spatial Design - I never wanted to leave school! I love, love, love the great outdoors and think of my kitchen as a meditation chamber - it's so cathartic, no?

So, with Sean and Gregory's blessing and G's assistance, I'm going to post wee articles here from time to time and will focus my writing on the products and the designers themselves. Lovely!




No comments: